Heat the hot stove of Major League Baseball before an imminent shutdown. The current Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) expires Wednesday night, and free agent activity will be suspended until the players association and the league reach a new agreement – a process that could take months. Many players and teams are getting deals before closing, and this has led to the frenzy of free agents in the past couple of days. Shortstop Corey Seager has become the latest big name to sign, agreeing to a whopping 10-year $325 million contract with Rangers on Monday afternoon.
It’s already been a huge season for the Rangers. Over the weekend, they added second baseman Marcus Simin, right quarterback John Gray, and quarterback Cole Calhoun. Altogether, this is a salary commitment of over $550 million to Texas.
Also on Monday, Max Scherzer agreed a record deal with the Mets. Scherzer’s contract with the Mets would pay him $130 million over three years, thus setting a new record for average annual value ($43.3 million annually). Scherzer will join three free-agent deals the Mets made last week, namely player Eduardo Escobar, companion player Mark Canha and defensive player Starling Mart. Scherzer wasn’t the only big-name player to sign on Monday. Robbie Ray, who won the AL Cy Young award earlier this month for his impressive 2021 season with the Blue Jays, has agreed to a five-year deal with the Seattle Mariners worth $115 million.
Here’s a look at the notable free agent deals that have been happening since Sunday night.
Notable Hot Stove Deals
- Cory Seeger and Rangers have agreed to a $325 million 10-year agreement (The full story is here).
- Max Scherzer and the Mets struck a three-year, $130 million deal (The full story is here).
- Robbie Ray has agreed to a five-year, $115 million deal with the Mariners (The full story is here).
- The Marlins acquired catcher Jacob Stallings in a four-player deal with the Buccaneers, Announced the difference.
- Marcus seeds agreed to a seven-year deal worth $175 million with Notice (The full story is here).
- Marlins and Avisaíl García agree to a four-year, $53 million deal (The full story is here).
- Kevin Gussman and the blue jays agreed to a five-year deal worth $110 million (The full story is here).
- John Gray The Rangers agreed to a four-year, $56 million deal.The full story is here).
- Cory Klopper signed a one-year deal with the Rays after spending 2021 with the Yankees (The full story is here).
- Relief team Kirby Yates has announced that he has signed a two-year, $8.25 million deal with the Braves.
- Loyal Daniel Hudson approaches a one-year, $7 million deal with the Dodgers family, By Jeff Bassan from ESPN.
We will be providing live updates throughout Monday as teams seek to seal more deals. Follow along below.
“Prone to fits of apathy. Introvert. Award-winning internet evangelist. Extreme beer expert.”