Cleveland, Ohio – I scribble in my notebook looking back at the Browns’ 33-29 loss in Kansas City.
1. We are already hearing criticism from some fans regarding defensive coordinator Joe Woods. After all, the defense was supposed to be better. But Brown still gave up 33 points.
2. Let’s look at the allowed points. Seven was created by Jimmy Gillan, who dropped a shot and then tried to run with it instead of running. That gave KC the ball on the Cleveland 15. TD set up for the winners.
3. Nick Chap flopped and was recaptured by the Chiefs on KC 47. The Browns’ defense eventually halted the Kavkaz Center at Cleveland 25. But this resulted in a field goal. So two errors are able to 10 points. I find it hard to blame the defense. I suppose they could have forced 3 out.
4. THE DEFENSE WASN’T GIVING BIG PLAYS. And yes, they did let a huge one – a 75-yard TD shot was caught by Tyreek Hill with 10:10 left in the game. I’ve looked at that play a few times. Patrick Mahomes had a lopsided shot. Cleveland’s safety, John Johnson III, lost the ball, but it fell. … I do not know. It wasn’t great coverage, just a crazy play by two talented athletes.
5. The Bunyan allowed a lot of short and medium passes on the crossing roads because they wanted to stop the deep throws. While Gillan’s error is not considered turnover, it served the same purpose. The attack/special teams set up 10 points for a cocktail.
6. Woods wants a defense to create turnarounds. Brown couldn’t do that. He wants to press QB. They did it with Mahomes on occasion. Profootballfocus is certified Miles Garrett with eight “stresses”. Includes a sack and three QB strokes. Jadvion Clooney had four stressors. The problem is that fast Mahomes are hard to drop. It’s a lot like basketball when you face Michael Jordan or LeBron James. You can defend great players well, and they still beat you with great plays.
7. Brown started eight new players who were not with the team a year ago. They have faced probably the best attacking in the NFL, and definitely the best QB. The defense should improve during the season. The running defense was excellent, with KC only getting 73 yards in 23 loads. The longest distance was nine yards.
8. Some interesting things Of the hijacker charges: Rookie Malik McDowell kicked off veteran defensive tackle Andrew Billings. McDowell (45 shots) and Jordan Elliott (27) played more in interference than Billings (11). Grady Williams only played eight shots.
9. The defense handles much better than it was a year ago. They only missed four tackles for one of the most sporting fouls in football. By comparison, Brown’s appearances were created According to Profootball Focus, six of KC’s defenders have missed.
10. Having said that, I don’t have a strong opinion of Woods, whether it is good or bad. But oh my gosh, my patience is in order. This match wasn’t a defensive disaster, and I was afraid it was due to the opponent playing with percussion at Arrowhead.
11. KC assistant coach Greg Lewis should have been fired for a side scramble match with safety Cleveland Ronnie Harrison Jr. Harrison was just fired. As the Cleveland JT Tretter Center said: “We can’t have competing coaches getting their hands on competing players.” At the very least, Lewis should be fined.
12. Coach Kevin Stefansky on Harrison: “That’s the kind of thing we keep inside, but it’s disappointing when you lose five first games (in the match). … It’s the oldest thing in football.. Officials always see the second man. Rooney has to show some poise there and not retaliate.” .
13. What about Baker Mayfield? He was created for this crime. He was 21 out of 28 for 321 yards. The big mistake was getting in the way 69 seconds before. He was hit from behind on the throw, a play Mayfield said he wanted to push the ball out of bounds.
14. Stefansky said: “Baker did a good job on a lot of operations for what we were doing in a difficult environment. In the end, he knows he has to take care of the rock and he has to throw it away in there – I know he was trying to get rid of it – but he has to find a way to get incomplete for us.”
15. The Browns had TD drives for 81, 75, 75 and 75 yards at one of the highest places in the NFL. None of the attacking shipmen jumped despite the noise. The offense was well prepared, trained and disciplined. She gave 29 points. Immediately after the match, I was frustrated with the loss but was encouraged by the team’s performance. Looking back, this view has not changed.
Pluto’s last terry columns
Get the latest Browns merchandise: here where you can order Cleveland Browns gear online, including T-shirts, T-shirts, T-shirts, hats and more.
“Prone to fits of apathy. Introvert. Award-winning internet evangelist. Extreme beer expert.”