The death toll from Typhoon Ray in the Philippines has risen to more than 100. The typhoon wreaked havoc and rescuers are still searching for survivors.
The governor of the hard-hit Bohol island, Arthur Yap, says the death toll could rise. So far, he has been able to contact 33 of the island’s 48 mayors. The number of deaths in the remaining municipalities is not yet known. The island, with a population of 1.2 million, was reportedly killed, and 13 others were injured. At least ten people are still missing.
According to the Red Cross, large-scale aid is needed; Hundreds of thousands of people lost their homes, villages in the east of the country were completely destroyed. Philippine Red Cross President Richard Gordon said rescue teams were seeing homes, schools and hospitals “completely destroyed”. “The people of the Philippines are resilient, but now that they have lost everything to the typhoon, international support is needed to help hundreds of thousands of people rebuild their homes and lives.”
Jaap demands mayors use emergency energy to stockpile food and drink; There is a significant lack of this in the affected areas. Hurricane, also known locally as Odette, passed over the country on Thursday and Friday. The cyclone is now weakening and heading towards Vietnam via the western island of Palawan.
See photos of Hurricane Ray and its aftermath here:
“Infuriatingly humble social media buff. Twitter advocate. Writer. Internet nerd.”