This is the live blog about the war in Ukraine as of Wednesday, May 31st. This was yesterday’s main news:
• Moscow suffered the biggest drone attack since the beginning of the invasion of Ukraine. Russia says Ukraine is behind it, but that country denies this. President Putin talks about terrorism.
• Foreign Secretary James Cleverly said the UK believed Ukraine could also launch attacks on Russian soil in self-defence. He responded to the news about the drone attacks on Moscow, but at the same time said that he did not want to speculate whether Ukraine was behind it.
• Ukraine was also attacked by drones again. Anti-aircraft defenses managed to shoot down most of the drones, but one was killed and 13 wounded in Kiev.
• Ukraine wants not only F-16 fighters, but also Eurofighter Typhoon fighters. These are the devices that Germany and the United Kingdom have. At the moment, they tend not to supply the Eurofighter.
• The United States wants to deliver F-16s to Türkiye. The United States also hopes that Türkiye will agree to Sweden’s membership in NATO. However, according to the US Secretary of State, the two cases are not related. President Biden seemed to suggest the day before that he wanted a combination of the two.
You can read the full live blog for Tuesday, May 30th here.
“Infuriatingly humble social media buff. Twitter advocate. Writer. Internet nerd.”