September 20, 2021

SHSU Houstonian Online

Read all latest news headlines from USA, UK and around the world, get today's breaking news and live updates on politics, elections, business, sports, economy,​ …

Ebola case in Ivory Coast for the first time in 25 years |  abroad

Ebola case in Ivory Coast for the first time in 25 years | abroad

The Ebola virus re-emerged in Ivory Coast for the first time in 25 years, the World Health Organization and Health Minister Pierre Demba of the West African country confirmed. According to Demba, it will be an isolated case and concern an 18-year-old girl who entered the country from neighboring Guinea.




The World Health Organization said in a statement that the confirmation came, according to the World Health Organization, after collecting samples from the patient, who was transferred to the hospital in the commercial capital, Abidjan. The woman traveled overland from Guinea to Ivory Coast and arrived in Abidjan on August 12. She was admitted with a fever and is currently being treated.

Guinea, which had the deadliest Ebola outbreak ever, with 11,000 deaths between 2014 and 2016, earlier this year had a four-month outbreak that was expected to end on June 19. At the beginning of this week, the first case of Marburg virus in West Africa was also found in that country. This is a highly contagious disease similar to Ebola.

Contamination of both fatal diseases occurs through contact with infected body fluids and tissues. Among the symptoms are fever, headache, vomiting and diarrhea. The World Health Organization said there was no indication that the current infection situation in Côte d’Ivoire was linked to the outbreak in Guinea earlier this year. More research is currently underway. During the outbreak, 16 infections and 12 deaths were recorded in Guinea. By vaccinating nearly 11,000 people against Ebola and taking other measures, the outbreak was under control about four months later.

See also  The first scheduled flights from Kabul airport began 'without working radar'

“It is a matter of great concern that this case has been detected in Abidjan, a metropolis of more than 4 million people,” Machidiso Moeti, WHO’s regional director for Africa, said in a statement. However, we are moving quickly and have tremendous experience in combating this disease.”