Dolphins midfielder Tua Tagovailoa has been diagnosed with a concussion, has returned to Miami after being discharged from hospital

Dolphins midfielder Tua Tagovailoa has been diagnosed with a concussion, has returned to Miami after being discharged from hospital

Miami Dolphins quarterback Toa Tagovailoa underwent additional tests on Friday and remained on concussion protocol a day after hitting his head in the grass during a game, a scary moment she experienced. controversy About how the league deals with potential head injuries.

Dolphin coach Mike McDaniel said Tagovailoa had a headache Thursday night and Friday morning. The team was still waiting for the MRI results, which McDaniel said were performed “out of extra precaution” on top of the CT scans and X-rays taken the night before.

McDaniel said he has no timetable on when Tagovailoa will return.

“I’m not really thinking about the schedules or anything to do with it as a player right now,” McDaniel said. “It’s all about who you are.”

Toa Tagoviloa
Medical staff tend to back quarterback Tua Tagovailoa of the Miami Dolphins after an injury during a game against the Cincinnati Bengals at Paycor Stadium on September 29, 2022 in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Getty Images

Tagoviloa chirp A statement Friday evening thanking the fans for their support.

“It was hard not being able to finish the game and be with my teammates, but I am grateful for the support and care I have received from Dolphins, my friends and family, and all the people who have come into contact with them,” he said. “I’m feeling a lot better and I’m focused on recovering so I can get back on the pitch with my teammates.”

Tagoviloa was sacked by Bengals defensive tackle Josh Topo late in the first half Thursday. In the play, he awkwardly rolls him and throws him onto the lawn. While on the ground, Tagoviloa seemed to show his swordsmanship reaction, his fingers frozen in front of his face.

He remained in place for more than seven minutes before being loaded onto the backboard and taken off the field. He was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center for evaluation.

The dolphin later said he was conscious and had movement in all his limbs. He was discharged Thursday night and returned to Miami with the team.

McDaniel said Tagovailoa was interacting with colleagues on the flight home. He sat next to McDaniel and talked to him about the game.

“His personality was just normal,” McDaniel added.

And it wasn’t clear what was next for Tagovailoa, whose breakout season was interrupted by a frightening injury two weeks after throwing six career touchdowns in Week Two against Baltimore.

Last Sunday against Buffalo, Tagovailoa took a hit from Bills midfielder Matt Milan late in the first half and appeared to hit his head on the grass. He stumbled when he got up and was immediately taken to the locker room, where he was assessed for a concussion. He returned to the match at the beginning of the third quarter and was not part of the concussion protocol the following week, despite questions about why he was allowed to return to the match in the first place.

Sunday’s incident prompted the NFL Players Association and the National Football League Players Association to jointly review the extent of his injuries and whether the Dolphins followed appropriate concussion protocol that day.

“Ninety-nine-nine percent of the time that player is eliminated from the game without even thinking,” said Chris Nowinski, CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation.CBS MorningCo-hosted by Nate Burleson.

Nowinsky, the neuroscientist, said the dolphins endangered Tagovailoa’s life and failed to protect it.

This is a failure by everyone. This is a failure by the medical team. This is a failure by the independent medical team on Sunday. This is a failure by the technical staff. The problem is all these failures, none of them are going to be punished. The person being punished here is just ‘ said Nowinsky.

The results of the joint investigation between the NFL and NFLPA have not been released, but Miami Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel insists the Dolphins followed proper protocols last Sunday.

“If there’s any kind of tendency for someone to have a concussion, they go into the concussion protocol, which is very strict. As long as I’m the head coach, that’s not going to be a problem you guys should worry about,” McDaniel said. .

McDaniel reiterated Friday that Tagovailoa was cleared by several layers of medical professionals during that match and said he had not suffered a head injury.

“My job as a coach is here for the players,” McDaniel said. “I take that very seriously.” “And nobody in the building turns away from that.”

He added, “There was no medical indication from all resources that there was anything to do with the head. If there was, of course, I wouldn’t have been able to live with myself if I had taken someone in there prematurely.”

The reaction on Thursday came quickly from across the NFL. Leaders Patrick Mahomes and Broncos QB Russell Wilson immediately tweeted with concern for Tagovailoa’s welfare.

“I pray for you, Tua,” Wilson wrote.

The NFL Players Association tweeted: “Player health and safety is at the core of the federation’s mission. Our concern tonight is for Tua and hope for a full and speedy recovery. Our investigation into a potential protocol violation continues.”

Some criticized the decision to play for Tagovailoa shortly after he was injured in Sunday’s game.

Hall of Famer Shannon Sharp tweeted: “This is a serious injury. Tua shouldn’t have been there with Sunday turned around. Sometimes players need to protect themselves. Tua’s dolphins failed.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top