Warring factions in Sudan have signed a new ceasefire that came into effect at midnight. US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken first announced a 72-hour ceasefire on Monday between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary forces. He said this was the result of several days of intense negotiations.
Shortly after Blinken announced the ceasefire, both the RSF and the Sudanese army agreed. RSF said it would agree to “open humanitarian corridors” and allow civilians to visit hospitals. Both sides had already announced a three-day ceasefire on Friday to coincide with Eid, the festival marking the end of the Muslim fasting month. However, eyewitnesses said that the fight was still going on last weekend. There are no previous files between the two.
Also Read | Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Communication with the Dutch people in Sudan is difficult
Foreign media such as CNN and the BBC write that the cease-fire has led the US and other countries to hope that the evacuation of people from Sudan will go more smoothly in the coming days. It was difficult last week because of heavy fighting near the airport in the capital, Khartoum.
Also Read | 60 Dutch nationals have now been evacuated from Sudan
The army and the RSF have been engaged in a bloody power struggle for two weeks. According to the United Nations (UN), at least 400 people have died.
“Award-winning beer geek. Extreme coffeeaholic. Introvert. Avid travel specialist. Hipster-friendly communicator.”
Investors look to inflation data and US debt ceiling | economy
Biden and Republicans reach tentative agreement to raise US debt ceiling | economy
A tentative deal to raise the US debt ceiling