Arkansas student dies from alcohol poisoning
14 years ago Contributing Writer Comments Off on Arkansas student dies from alcohol poisoning
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) – The alcohol-related death of a University of Arkansas fraternity member apparently wasn’t related to rush activities, when students are trying to get accepted into the Greek organization of their choice, a university spokeswoman said Sunday. The student did not live in the fraternity house but in a residence off campus, university spokeswoman Susan Rogers said. He also was not a pledge but had been in college awhile, she said.
“He did not pass away at the fraternity residence,” Rogers said. “He was in his private residence.”
Rogers said that the older student had many friends and that the university was working with them and with the student’s family to provide counseling. “Our job right now is to respond to students who knew him and to make sure they have appropriate ways to express their grief, and to be responsive to the family,” she said. She would not disclose the student’s name, saying that would have to come from the Fayetteville Police Department.
Police would not disclose the student’s name Sunday.
They would say only that the student was found after police received an emergency call for help at 9:39 a.m. Saturday from a residence on North Wilson street, which is in the neighborhood of the UA campus.
The caller said the male student had been feeling sick, took medicine containing hydrocodone, then drank beer. Hydrocodone is a cough suppressant. Police officers did “some follow up at a fraternity house on campus,” Sgt. Carey Hartsfield said Sunday. The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas identified the fraternity as Kappa Sigma and reported that the student died Friday night or Saturday morning.
Police Sgt. Dan Curtis told The Associated Press that police did not suspect foul play.
Last week, a 19-year-old University of Oklahoma student died of alcohol poisoning after a party in a fraternity house in Norman. And about two weeks ago, an 18-year-old was found dead at a University of Colorado fraternity house where alcohol was consumed. Last month, a 19-year-old died at a Colorado State University fraternity house after consuming alcohol.
Rogers said the university was aware that other colleges have had tragic deaths in the recent past and have tried to limit students’ exposure to alcohol.
At the University of Arkansas, she said, the school began “delayed rush” last year in which a student doesn’t don’t move into the fraternity house during rush and rush doesn’t start early in the year.
“We also have had advisers on site at all the parties this year,” she said.
She said the university will look at whether the school could have done anything differently to prevent the student’s death.